In 2012, a programme of extensive restoration began with Sunderland City Council investing £1.35 million to conserve the lantern house and pier deck.
Following this work, a successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund allowed for the restoration of the lighthouse interior, repair of the tunnel floor and drains, and the improvement of access. This work began in 2015 and will be completed later this year. The construction of a new entrance to the tunnel will allow visitors access to the tunnel and lighthouse, open to the public for the first time in its history.
The restoration of the Grade II listed structure has been undertaken sympathetically, with the aim of taking it back to its former glory when it was opened in 1903.